MUCH-MANY




Review


BIBLIOGRAFY
Oxford Learner’s Dictionary
Cambridge dictionary
Collins dictionary
Merriam-Webster dictionary
The Free Dictionary





many / a lot of / lots of
Many is used only with countable nouns (if plural, of course). It is used mainly in questions and negative sentences:

·         Do you go to many parties during the school year?
·         How many people attended the committee meeting?
·         I don’t go to many concerts in summer.
·         I’m new in the neighbourhood, so I haven’t got many friends.
·         Books at home? They haven’t got many. (pronoun)
·         In many of these neighborhoods a lot of people don't have telephones.

many a (formal) used with a singular noun and verb to mean ‘a large number of’

·         Many a young man has been destroyed by drink or drugs.
·         I know of many a ship that sank sailing through the strait.

Although many is not common in statements, it is used after so, as and too:

·         You made too many mistakes.
·         ‘I’ll have three dozen bananas’  ‘Oh, come on! Don’t eat so many.
·         New drivers have twice as many accidents as experienced drivers.









much / a lot of / lots of
Much is used only with uncountable nouns. It is used mainly in questions and negative sentences:
·         Do you have much free time?
·         How much experience have you had?
·         I don’t have much free time.






Very much and a lot can be used as adverbs:
·         I miss my family very much.
·         I miss very much my family.
·         I miss my family a lot.
·         Thanks a lot.

In negative sentences you can use much:
·         I didn’t enjoy the film (very) much.




Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

INCREASED REGULARLY